On 5 January 2015, the construction of the second Phase of The ACRE Project began. Phase II will incorporate two polytunnels for all-year growing of crops, a second building to double the size of the existing space available for youth and community, and as a small wind turbine to produce free electricity for, at least, the next 15 years.
The overall cost of Phase II will be in the region of €300,000 and The ACRE Project has received a generous grant under the Rural Development Programme (2007-2013) – the Kildare Leader initiative.
The Board of The ACRE Project has a schedule of fundraisers laid out to secure the yearly running costs of circa €30K. The work of our volunteers in fundraising is sincerely appreciated.
A huge thanks to all of our 2014 Sponsors. It’s great to get local support for this great cause.
- Absolutely Fabulous Florists
- Blake’s Pharmacy
- Celbridge Jewellers
- Celbridge Print
- Cllr Frank O’Rourke, FF
- Douglas Newman Good
- Fitzpatricks’ Butchers
- Glenroyal Leisure Centre
- InfoMarex Translations
- Michaelangelo’s Restaurant
- Nally’s Super Valu
- Olan Neeson Framing
- The Mill Gym
- Walsh’s Pharmacy
- Base Celbridge
- Celbridge and District Credit Union
- Top of the Town Cleaners
Working in collaboration with its volunteers and local community groups, the core group have organised a number of activities on-site. These have included a successful series of “planting days” under the supervision of a trained horticulturist; the running of an eight week lifestyle programme Mindfulness Practice which was offered to local parents; and in conjunction with the Celbridge Artistic Group held an open taster day, Creative Explosion, attended by over 450 adults and children. This was a day of interactive workshops in a variety of artistic and creative forms and was part of an initiative to promote creative culture in the community across many crafts and disciplines.
Surveys conducted on the day indicated that people were more than willing to volunteer and help in future activities in The ACRE Project and participants indicated that they were looking for a variety of courses including:
- Film & Photography – Sculpture
- Painting – Art & craft courses
- Creative writing – Community Art Projects
- Music Appreciation – Music Classes
- Drama Skills – Youth Drama
- Community Mothers Programme – Mens Coffee Club
- Personal Development Programmes – Mindfullness Training
- Yoga Sessions
Based on the success of Phase One and on interest to date, it is clear that there is a need to develop the project further. In order to achieve this, it is proposed that in Phase Two of The ACRE Project the following are provided:
- a hybrid wind turbine and solar panel electricity generating system in line with the environmental and green nature of the project;
- a second resource building to cater for current demand and new programmes;
- a sensory ornamental garden, for both individuals with learning difficulties and physical challenges, and as a space for the community to visit, contemplate and relax;
- office equipment;
- security fencing;
- tools, machinery and a tool shed to secure them, and
- two polytunnels, to allow for the production of a greater variety of produce and to greater facilitate teaching and working all year round.